
Today it snowed... it is the end of March; that is not supposed to happen! It rained a lot too, and hailed. All in all, a rather horrid day. But all the same, I ventured out to do some shopping and then set off for the New York Public Library on 42nd Street. Completed in 1911 on the site of an old reservoir, it is a fortress of a building, with a beautiful reading room on the top floor. Here is a picture that I took on the sly from my seat. It is blurry, but that's because I was nervous someone was going to stop me! It’s also the building where Carrie almost gets married to Mr. Big in Sex in the City.
As part of my New York education, I have been dedicating some of my time to reading books about the place, and so I dragged ‘A People’s History of the United States’, by Howard Zinn with me to the library. It made me fall asleep. Quite embarrassing.
The evening was spent battling the weather with Charlotte trying to find a suitable dinner venue for her birthday... It ended randomly with alex joining for a game of ‘The Settlers of Catan’ during a thunderstorm in the offices of The Art Newspaper, accompanied by a bottle of champagne found in the fridge. Charlotte had lost the keys to her house and so we diverted to her office to find them, and decided that was as good a place to play as any...
No comments:
Post a Comment